Wellcome International Training Fellowships offers nationals of low- and middle-income countries the opportunity to receive training at postgraduate or postdoctoral level. The low and middle income countries of exception are India and mainland China.
Research Field: Basic, Clinical and Public Health.
Funding Duration: 3 years.
Career Level: Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Research.
Study in: Any Country
Benefits of the Training Fellowship
Generally, the fellowship has a funding level of usually £150,00 to £300,000 that provide the following:
- a basic salary
- personal removal expenses of £1,000
- overheads, which should not be more than 20% of the direct research costs if you are based in a low- or middle-income country, and not more than 15% if you are based anywhere else.
- research expenses directly related to your proposal and
- course fees if you are registered for your higher degree at a local academic organisation.
More fellowship posts:
- Allan & Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust PhD Scholarship
- Sidney Topol Fellowship in Nonviolence Practice
- United Nations University Fellowship in Netherlands
You can apply for an International Training Fellowship if:
- you’re a national of a low- or middle-income country
- your proposed research focuses on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country
- you have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country apart from mainland China.
You must want to undertake a guided period of research so that you can consolidate your existing experience and explore new areas of research.
- have a PhD and be an early-career researcher; or
- have a degree in a relevant subject and some initial research experience; or
- be a clinically qualified doctor (and be qualified to enter higher specialist training), vet, dentist or clinical psychologist, and have some initial research experience.
If you don’t have a PhD, you are expected to start one at the same time as the fellowship. You should register for your PhD at a local academic organisation. If this isn’t possible, contact us before submitting your application.
Wellcome accepts 2 rounds of applications per year. The deadline for this first round for 2020 has passed. However, the deadline for the 2nd round is 30 April 2020 (preliminary application) and the deadline for full applications is 9 July 2020.
To learn more about the Fellowship and to start application visit >>> Wellcome International Training Fellowships.