JFUNU Scholarships – PhD programme in Sustainability Science is a three-year programme that aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science. The programme takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and biodiversity.
Hosting University: United Nation University – An Institute for the Advanced Study on Sustainability, Japan
Level/Field of Study: PhD in Sustainability Science.
Scholarships for the programme is provided through the Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU). The award of the scholarship is based on application selection results. Only applicants that are accepted for enrolment in the UNU-IAS PhD in Sustainability Science programme can be considered as candidates for the scholarship.
Benefits of the Scholarship
The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY. This is for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. Also the scholarship includes fully waived tuition fees for the scholarship recipients.
- Applicants must be from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
Applicant are required to apply for a study in PhD in Sustainability Science at the university. The following are the requirement for the admission:
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met ALL of the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
- A strong interest in sustainability studies;
- A demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
- A minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which was acquired after obtaining a university degree (full time equivalent)
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
- English language proficiency
Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies.
Once offered an Admission, applicant can apply for a its scholarship by filling the application form (form to be seen here).
To learn more about the scholarship visit the official website – JFUNU Scholarships for PhD in Sustainability Science.